Name Mantra Meditation
(Sound Based Meditation Technique From Kashmir Shaivism – Vigyan Bhairav Tantra)
Name Mantra Meditation Technique is one the sound based techniques mentioned in Kashmir Shaivism, Vigyan Bhairav Tantra. In this meditation
technique one has to continually repeat his own name, since in modern world we get many names so first just check which you feel connect most
lot time it will can the one you got is when you were born. For example your name is “sita” you call & repeat your name “sita” “sita” “sita” “sita” use different pitch, tone loader, softer keep repeating your name. during the process you might even start cry with love, laugh, smile, feel extreme joy or
deeply rooted childhood memories & feeling come out but keep chanting & calling your name don’t ne attached to it.
This meditation technique gives you clear realization that your name & your personality is part of you but not you. your name might belong to your body or mind but you are more than the body, mind or identity. It is the identity with your name and body that is the main hindrance in getting liberated.
Chanting your name as mantra continuously again & again is one of the powerful and simple tool to expand the consciousness. It is a simplest yet very powerful meditation which can also give you clear realization about your problems, issues, fear, limitation, judgments & projections are part of
your identity (personality) and you are much more than that.
Meditation Tips Before We Get Started…
- It is essential to be in a comfortable and a relaxed position before beginning any meditation practice.
- The place chosen for meditation practice must be calm, quiet, have a free flow of air and must be free from any external disturbances.
- Sitting posture must be perfect for meditation. Neck should be straight, spine upright, and erect.
- Head should be straight like you are watching someone in front of you, this allows your mind to calm down.
- Keep eyes closed throughout, no strain should be felt in neck or facial muscles, also try to relax your shoulders, arms, and thighs before meditation.
How To Do This Meditation
- Sit straight in a comfortable posture. You can place the hands on knees, keeping palms up or down.
- Bring your awareness to the body and stay in that state for a few moments.
- Eyes can be open or close.
- Start by calling & repeating your own name as a mantra.
- For example if your name is sita continuously calling & chanting “Sita “Sita“ “Sita“. Like you want “Sita “to listen to you.
- Use different pitch in calling your own name like soft, slow, long, loud, and gentle.
- Use feeling & emotions, call yourself with love, joy & smile.
- Be total in the calling. Let the body get immersed in the vibrations created by sound of your own name.
- Continue like this for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let go of the technique, slowly lie down in Shavasana with complete silence with eyes closed. Just remain in silence and don’t focus on anything in particular. Allow yourself to become aware and watch whatever is happening inside your body. Allow emotions to come but stay detached and be present. Just relax and be a witness to experience. Continue this for 10 minutes (also recommended to use relaxation music on this relaxation stage).