Similarly, in the absence of a dark night, close the eyes and concentrate on the darkness in front of one. Opening the eyes, see the dark form of God spreading everywhere. One will then become one with God.Verse 88,, Vigyan Bhairava Tantra
How to do this technique
This practice is a variation of the previous one. It is not always possible to find a completely dark night, especially if you live in a city. There will always be light somewhere that will make it difficult to practice the previous meditation. The meditation given in this verse is not fully dependent on external circumstances. However, it is better to practice this meditation in a room that is partially or completely dark.
- Close your eyes and concentrate on the darkness in front of you. Keep looking at the darkness, till one is completely absorbed in darkness.
- Then open your eyes and see the darkness spreading everywhere.
- When you first open your eyes, you may see certain objects.
- Try and see everything being enveloped by darkness.
- After a while, there is only darkness.
- Now, no objects can be seen in the external world. It is then that one will become one with God. The dark form of God the verse refers to is darkness. When the eyes are opened, one has to see this darkness spreading everywhere. If you see the darkness spreading everywhere, then you have reached a state of enlightenment. After a while, the darkness will disappear, and you will see objects the way you normally do. However, now you will permanently reside in a state of enlightenment.
- In case after opening your eyes, you do not see the darkness spreading everywhere, then you will have to continue with this practice every day, till you are successful. People are more used to hearing about meditation practices using light. Practices involving darkness are rare. However, light and darkness are not opposites. They are different degrees of the same thing. Both can be used to enter the Divine.