Concentrate on the Two Places Where the Breath Turns
Concentrate on the two places where the breath turns from inside to outside and also from outside to inside. 0 Goddess, in this way, through the Goddess, the essential form of God is realized .Verse 25, Vigyan Bhairava Tantra
This meditation is a slight variation of Concentrating on the Gap between Breaths. Instead of focusing on the origin of the inbreath and the outbreath, focus on the turning of the breath.
How to Do Technique:
- As you breathe in, the breath gradually dies out.
- Then there is a small gap or pause, and then you breathe out.
- Turning of the breath is the area where the inbreath is ending, there is a gap, and then the outbreath starts.
- The focus of attention in this verse is larger. It encompasses not just the gap between two breaths, but also a little on either side of it where the in breath is ending and the outbreath is beginning and also where the outbreath is ending and the inbreath is starting.
- In a complete breathing cycle, the breath turns twice. From inside to outside and again from outside to inside.
Benefits of This Technique:
- People have wondered for centuries, what is it about the breath that makes it such a powerful meditation technique. When people fail to keep the mind quiet with other meditations, they usually succeed with one of the breath techniques.
- The mind is attracted to rhythms. It is easier to focus the mind on a rhythm. And the breath is the most natural rhythm found in life. These meditations bring the mind to the present. The mind always takes us to the past or the future . In the present, the mind cannot exist. In the present, there is no need, no use of the mind. One is only aware.
- By focusing the mind long enough on the present, the mind automatically dissolves.
- While practicing these meditations, thoughts may keep popping up.
- When a thought arises, we miss the turning of the breath. Do not get upset when this happens. Simply, bring the mind back to the practice.
- Do not dwell on the thoughts that have arisen, or get upset that these thoughts keep arising. Bring the mind back to the meditation.
- Gradually the thoughts will diminish, and one day will be eliminated altogether through the Goddess, the essential form of God is realized. The Goddess is breath or Energy. Through Her, or through breath awareness we reach God.