Humming Sound Meditation
(Tantra on Sound Based Meditation Technique from Tantra Yoga)
Humming Meditation Technique is a one the simplest & easy meditation practice that can be done by any individual to experience the peace and serenity within. It opens the truthfulness and trust inside you. This technique is rooted in old Tibetan Buddhist Techniques. The energy that is within us is used to heal the self. In this humming meditation technique during the practice, the sound is brought down from the head to the body completely to make the body and mind relaxed. Once the sound is spread across the body, there is a soothing and calming effect. With the help of this effect, physical and emotional distress is released with a result of healing the heart. It will also take you to a balanced state of deeply centered wellbeing. Humming meditation has numerous benefits. For those who suffer with chest problems, communication issues, throat problems, bronchitis, this technique is will help to get relieved. The integration of breath and humming in this technique is one of the best ways to release the energy blocks and tension.
This process also clears and refreshes the throat.”
The sound is just “mmmmm” and not any mantra. The sound created can be as lengthy as possible with comfort; that is in between breathes. Do it in a relaxed mode, without any tension. During this humming sound your energy and whole inner being are completely immersed in the vibration created through the sound. Maintain minimum gap between the sounds. Gradually, you will feel that you are just a listener and humming continues automatically without any effort.
Meditation Tips Before We Get Started…
- It is essential to be in a comfortable and a relaxed position before beginning any meditation practice.
- The place chosen for meditation practice must be calm, quiet, have a free flow of air and must be free from any external disturbances.
- Sitting posture must be perfect for meditation. Neck should be straight, spine upright, and erect.
- Head should be straight like you are watching someone in front of you, this allows your mind to calm down.
- Keep eyes closed throughout, no strain should be felt in neck or facial muscles, also try to relax your shoulders, arms, and thighs before meditation.
How To Do This Meditation
Step 1 :
- Drop your shoulders and relax.
- Gently touch the lips at the same time so as to make the “hum” sound reaches the head, face, neck muscles without any effort.
- Relax the jaws.
- Playing slow music in the background is recommended for enjoying the experience
- Inhale slowly.
- Close the lips and exhale.
- Make “mmm” sound while breathing out. The sound generated during this practice like that of the sound generated by us by putting the face inside a vessel.
- Continue to create the sound till the end of exhalation. Make it deep and loud as far as possible. It should be natural as the deep breath is taken by the body automatically, without any effort.
- While it is a tone, it is possible to make it musical
- Continue the practice with next breath cycle.
- Remain silent for around 10 minutes without any movement.
- Enjoy the blissful state with a pleasant and smiling face.
- This time, the energy generated through the practice enters all the cells of the body and cleanses it.
- Allow the thoughts to come and go. Just watch the mind and be a witness for the thoughts.
Initially, it can be for 6 to 8 minutes and later, it can go up to 10 to 15 minutes.
Few Benefits of Humming Sound Meditation
- This technique takes your being and focuses to the center. It helps to settle the stress and restlessness feeling internally.
- Face keeps smiling, it fully happens with me.
- Breath rate is becomes normal.
- Unproductive thinking is lost; negativity is lost by diving into the rounds of “hmmmm”. You can experience the change in thinking.
- It activates the parasympathetic nervous system that calms down the nervous system.