So Hum Mantra Meditation
(One of the simplest and most beneficial meditation practices with the combination of mantra meditation and mindful breathing)
So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique is one of the simple at the same time gives powerful results. The spiritual quest of the man ends with knowing the self within. The meaning of the Sanskrit word “So Hum” is “I am that”. This means that you imagine yourself as one with the existence. There is nothing like inside and outside. You are not separate from the universal consciousness. In this meditation technique while the inhalation takes place, you feel that the cosmic energy is drawn inside. Along with the breathing cycle, you should chant slowly “Soooooooo” mentally and then slowly exhale while silently saying the sound “Hummmmmm” and imagine that your individuality dissolves with the universal consciousness. This
should be repeated as many times as possible without any distraction. Focus on the breath and contemplate on the words while chanting mentally. Once this is done consciously, the transformation of the mind from the individual to the universal consciousness takes place gradually. The person who chants and the chanted becomes one. It is basically the total union of one with the
So Hum Mantra Meditation Is of the most popular mantra used in Yoga. The word “Yoga” in Sanskrit language means “union” – with the self. And in this mantra meditation, you have become one with the self through continuous practice of this technique.
Here Are Few Benefits Of So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique:
- One perceives others as part of the self; there is no duality.
- Explore the divinity present in you.
- Relaxed, peaceful and calm mind without any stress.
- Joy and happiness are experienced spontaneously.
- One can heal by himself, Self-Healing, Self Acceptance.
- Increase mental focus and concentration.
Meditation Tips Before We Get Started…
- It is essential to be in a comfortable and a relaxed position before beginning any meditation practice.
- The place chosen for meditation practice must be calm, quiet, have a free flow of air and must be free from any external disturbances.
- Sitting posture must be perfect for meditation. Neck should be straight, spine upright, and erect.
- Head should be straight like you are watching someone in front of you, this allows your mind to calm down.
- Keep eyes closed throughout, no strain should be felt in neck or facial muscles, also try to relax your shoulders, arms, and thighs before meditation.
- Chin mudra is the preferred hand mudra
How To Do This Meditation
- Be seated in a comfortable posture with crossed legs. Sitting on chair as well as lying on the floor is also fine to do this meditation
- Bring your awareness to the body and stay in that state for a few moments.
- If felt necessary, set the alarm for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Through the nose, take five deep breaths, five times. This is to oxygenate the blood and for relaxation.
- Try to bee in stillness as long as possible.
- Along with the breathing cycle, you should chant slowly “Soooooooo” mentally and then slowly exhale while silently saying the sound “Hummmmmm”
- Imagine that your individuality dissolves with the universal consciousness.
- Repeat this at least for half the time and feel that the awareness is expanding and uniting with the universal consciousness.
- Feel that the meaning of this mantra is working on you.
- Continue like this for 10 minutes.
- Let go of the technique, slowly lie down in Shavasana with complete silence with eyes closed. Just remain in silence and don’t focus on anything in particular. Allow yourself to become aware and watch whatever is happening inside your body. Allow emotions to come but stay detached and be present. Just relax and be a witness to experience. Continue this for 10 minutes (also recommended to use relaxation music on this relaxation stage).