Tratak (Eye Gazing meditation)
(Eye Gazing Technique to Enhance the Concentration Power of the Mind)
Tratak (Fixed Eye Gazing) is an ancient yogic technique that increases the concentration of the mind. In Sanskrit language the meaning of the word
“trataka” is “to look” or “to gaze”.
Tratak ceases the disturbances in the mind by improving the ability of concentration by focusing the mind to single point, dot or an object. Practicing this meditation technique increases the memory power as well as brings the awareness, alertness and focus.
Determination is very much essential to get maximum benefit out of this technique. Eyesight should be fixed on the “dot” without any external distraction and internal distractions through thoughts. This meditation technique helps to enhance concentration, memory and
To perform this meditation technique you need to take white paper & make a very small dot by black pen at the centre of the paper. Choose the place to practice this meditation technique and fix that paper on the wall exactly at the level of your eyes in front of you around in 12 to 18 inches distance. Focus completely on the “bindu” or the dot on the wall. Your mind and a sense of seeing are completely focused on this “dot” throughout the duration of practice without eye blinking. After few minutes of continuous eye gazing on the dot without blinking tears might come into your eyes – still continue the process. Your mind will start to move out from the dot to some memory of past or creating some future memories – you must keep bringing your mind back on to dot again and again. This way we train our mind to bring single pointed focus and increase concentration. After few days of practice the concentration increases gradually throughout the day on any activity you perform.
Meditation Tips Before We Get Started…
• It is essential to be in a comfortable and a relaxed position before beginning any meditation practice.
• The place chosen for meditation practice must be calm, quiet, have a free flow of air and must be free from any external disturbances.
• Sitting posture must be perfect for meditation. Neck should be straight, spine upright, and erect.
• Head should be straight like you are watching someone in front of you, this allows your mind to calm down.
• Keep eyes closed throughout, no strain should be felt in neck or facial muscles, also try to relax your shoulders, arms, and thighs before meditation.
How To Do This Meditation
• Before starting Tratak “Dot” meditation it is essential to be in a comfortable and relaxed position.
• The place chosen for meditation practice must be calm and quiet, must have free flow of air and must be free from any external disturbances.
• Sitting posture must be perfect for meditation. Neck shall be straight, spine upright and erect.
• For this technique, you can simply use a yellow stick paper or any white paper. And use a marker to make a small black dot at the centre on a piece of paper.
• Stick or attach a piece of paper to the wall, at your eye level with distance of 12 to 18 inches between you and wall. (Depending on if you are sitting down on the floor or seated on chair).
• Now begin Tratak “Dot” meditation by gently gazing at the black dot (continue to stare at the dot intently, without straining your eyes )
• Try just focus & remember only one thing “Dot” “Dot” “Dot”
• forget the rest of world for the dot.
• Try not to blink your eyes throughout the meditation (it is ok if the blink happens few times)
• After few minutes your eyes might feel even the slightest strain, or begin to water, try not to close your eyes & continue to stare at the dot.
• Continue to gaze on dot without blinking.
• Mind will bring some thoughts about future or past to take your attention away, but you again & again keep bringing attention back on to the dot.
• Continue this meditation for a minimum of 10 minutes or maximum 15 minutes.
• Let go of the technique, slowly lie down in Shavasana with complete silence, eyes closed. Just remain in silence and don’t focus on anything in particular. Allow yourself to become aware and watch whatever is happening inside your body. Just relax and be a witness to experience. Continue this for around 10 minutes.
Benefits of Tratak Meditation
• Concentration, memory and mental power increases tremendously.
• Confidence, intellectual ability and patience increases.
• Work efficiency and sense of responsibility increases.
• One becomes self-motivated with foresight.
• Will power strengthens with decision making power.
Do’s of Tratak Meditation
- Ideal time to perform this Kriya is in the morning or evening.
- Bowels must be empty similar to that of regular exercise.
- Maintain the stability of the peaceful state of the mind.
- After the practice, cover the eyes for 10 minutes with a wet cloth.
Do not’s of Tratak Meditation
- First like any other activity, overdoing of tratak is dangerous.
- Tratak meditation should not be practiced just after taking heavy food.
- People with high blood pressure are advised not to perform Tratak.
- It’s important not to strain your eyes throughout this meditation technique. If you are having any problems with eye strain, please do not do this practice tratak meditation.